Friday, October 3, 2008

Module Two: Reflection

I enjoyed the article "Benefits of Cooperative Learning in Weblog Networks ". I believe that blogs can be a great tool in teaching writing. I am always looking at ways to build cooperative learning activities into my online courses. Blogs might be a way to accomplish this. My biggest concern with blogs would be time management (on the teacher's end). The article didn't address this issue. As I mentioned in the discussion boards, I felt the article discussed advantages of blogs well, but neglected disadvantages. Whatever the learning outcome of a blog is, it's important that the teacher establish clear expectations.I think a rubric would be essential.

What I found most useful this week was creating my own blog. I have never blogged before, so actually creating the blog was valuable. I enjoyed picking out a layout and especially enjoyed adding gadgets! I'd really like to be able to play around with the different blog sites to see what each has to offer.

I may attempt using a blog in my AP English class. I only have 18 students enrolled in that course and I think they would make a great test group.
For a personal use, I am very into genealogy. I think it would be fun to create a family history blog. Live Journal may accommodate this purpose well.

My ideas of assessment didn't change much for the week. However, I appreciate being introduced to a new tool. I never considered a blog as a form of assessment until now.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Amy: I personally like the voting feature on your Blog. Paula ~ Eau Claire